Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Eating in the Ghetto on a Hundred Dollar Plate

The short version is that I messed up.

The longer version is that through a confusing and nail bitting and nerve wracking serious of stupid events, India ended up with no health insurance in a country that, well, charges lots and lots for a visit to the emergency. $1600.00 later, and this single-momma-grad-student-living-on-a-fellowship has been bumped from person to person to person in government/social services trying to figure out how to pay for that sucker - the bill, not the daughter, or me, though I am a bit of a sucker. Today, a very nice man named Scott told me that the best he could do for me was to let my bill go to collections and maybe I could work some payment option out with them. Poor Scott. His voice got all shaky and nervous and I heard him put on a fake tough-guy suit to get through it. If he wouldn't have sounded so darn nervous I might have let mean Angela out, just because I was feeling a little freaky by then, but, I didn't. But holy smokes: COLLECTIONS? Isn't that one step away from debtors jail where India will have to bring me meals of bread and water and work in a factory making rugs because her little hands are perfect for those tiny embroidered flowers that all the clean rich ladies like?

Damn it. I need to learn how to make money writing. Imagine that. (And while you're imagining that, ask me how much money I got for that children's book I published. Yeah. You know. The one that won that award and sold out. Just ask.)

(*I should add that India is fine now. In case you're the worrying kind.)

In other news: I think I like writing again. It was touch and go there for awhile. I think I might, might like it still. Ask me again next week.

AND, AND, AND... HOLD ONTO YOUR HATS!

This Friday by 5:00, you will be able to pick up your phone, dial 319-354-0214 and reach ME ME ME! And India. The "No Phone" experiment of 2009/2010 is done. It was a flop. It is darn near impossible to function without a phone and you would not believe the rigmarole you have to go through filling out forms without a phone.

Boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, I am full of heart. And dinner. And the desire.

Good night.

9 comments:

Greg said...

:/

cheering for you, both...

Janna Barber said...

I don't think collections is THAT big of a deal. I believe it's happened to us before, and they usually will let you work out a payment plan, rather than send India away. I keep meaning to ask you the name of your children's book and if I can get it on Amazon or at the bookstore.

Watch out, giving your 7-digit out to the internet world. You might hear from some crazies, like me!

Anonymous said...

further resolve yet?

dan YELL!!! AHHHHHH! said...

Heya! This is one of the crazies who have just tried to call you... sigh. You weren't home nor was your mailbox set up... So I am leaving you a message this way. I know I know I could skype but I was excited to try your new number out!

Kiwi Salazar said...

If you go to the debt-slammer hope it's here with Luis at his work. I will bring you berries, and peanuts, and newspaper for bedding like Luis gives me. On good days he also brings me some cheddar cheese and lets me ride around on his shoulder for a bit. Not too much fun being in a cage unitl you get cheese and rides on his shoulder. Hope you get that solved soon. ***SQUAWK!!!*** "Step-up!"-- Love: Kiwi Quaker

deanna said...

Hee, hee, I tried to call you, too. Probably you were wise not to set up that mailbox too soon...

cecily said...

It would be too bizarre to phone I think. I would get all tongue tied and feel embarrassed and... and... I still have a house warming gift to send also. I must hunt for your address :-)

Angela said...

thanks, greg. same here. you know. for you.

bring on the crazies, janna!

deanna! i can't believe you tried to call me and i missed it! that would have been the weirdest and awesomest call i've had in ages. even before my no-phone experiment. i'm so awkward on the phone. awwwwwwwkward. it would have been great.

cecily, i am the queen of tongue-tied. and it's getting worse. i think it's hanging out with all these socially awkward writers. it's the nicest thing to get together with them and giggle about how many parties there are here and how hard it is for all of us to not hide in a corner talking to ourselves.

anon, i'm afraid the resolve will be me selling off body parts to the black market. i think i went as far as i could with it and it's all a no-go. wanna kidney?

Anonymous said...

Nah...I prefer hearts...(that are still BEATING of course)!!